Cabs in Brooklyn
Not all cabs in NY City are yellow! Indeed, in Brooklyn, and therefore around the hotel of the conference, they are most likely to be apple green. Quoted from NYC : “Much like yellow taxis, these Boro Taxis are uniform in color, have a debit/credit card reader, a meter, a roof light and a camera or a partition. The metered fare in a Boro Taxi is the same rate as for yellow taxis.”
Guides on things to do
The essential guide for your stay in New York City is the TimeOut magazine. Here is a link to their special web issue on “Things to do in New York City this spring” .
Another essential guide, from tripadvisor: Top things to do in Brooklyn .
Finally, the very complete website from the Downtown Brooklyn association.
The good news, if you came with a list of cool things to bring back from NY City for your loving spouse or adorable kid, is that the hotel of the conference happens to be located two blocks from a the “Fulton Mall“. It is a 17-block street corridor stretching from Boerum Place to Flatbush Avenue that “welcomes more than 100,000 shoppers a day to its 150+ retail businesses”. You will find big retailers like Macy’s, H&M, and the Gap; or local chains like Brooklyn Industries (highly recommended if you want to bring something cool and local).
List of retails stores HERE
During ISBI, you will have to eat on your own during the lunch break.
In the back of the hotel of the conference, there is a small pedestrian street with lots of
restaurants and places where you can get sandwiches, tacos, burgers, salads….
If you are ready for a longer line, you should try Shake Shack, 1 block from the hotel exiting from the front and turn left to Fulton Street, famous for its burgers and french fries, which are actually really really good.
Places to visit during the day
Here is a list of few fun things to do and places to visit in Brooklyn:
– Antique and vintage Brooklyn Flea markets Link
– Prospect Park Link : “From baseball to birdwatching, and skating to nature programs, there are thousands of ways to enjoy Prospect Park”.
– Brooklyn Bridge Park Link : along the river, with sports facilities…
– Jane’s Carousel Link , for the child who is hidden in you or accompanying you….
– Brooklyn Botanical Garden Link : hotepefully, Spring has finaly arrived here too ….
– Brooklyn Museum Link: “Explore an extensive and comprehensive permanent collection that includes ancient Egyptian masterpieces, African art, European painting, decorative arts, period rooms, and contemporary art.”
– New York Transit Museum Link: “The New York Transit Museum, one of the city’s leading cultural institutions, is the largest museum in the United States devoted to urban public transportation history, and one of the premier institutions of its kind in the world.”. From the local crew: It is super COOL !!!
and not in Brooklyn, but still close:
– The Museum of the Moving Image Link : “the country’s only museum dedicated to the art, history, technique, and technology of the moving image in all its forms. The Museum is a one-of-a-kind destination for audiences of all ages and interests, from connoisseurs of classic cinema to children and families to avid gamers.” Current special exhibition on Mad Men…..
In the evenings
As for the evenings, local attractions include:
– Brooklyn Academy of Music Link : “Multi-arts center located in Brooklyn, New York”.
– Brooklyn Center for the Performing Art Link .
– And the Brooklyn brewery where there is a PARTY organized for ISBI’15 on the Saturday night. More information on this crazy awesome event HERE !
Want to spend an evening in Manhattan?
Right across the street from the back of the conference hotel, there is a TKTS Discount Booth ! This is the best option if you want to purchase Broadway and Off Broadway musicals, plays, and dance productions tickets on sale every day at 20% to 50% off regular prices.